Some people automatically assume that if you’re Vegetarian/Vegan you still eat fish or “seafood”. This has been my experience. Their reasons for this, I really don’t know. Maybe they think flesh or “meat” needs to be red meat that comes from animals like cows and pigs. For whatever reason, meat is meat. Flesh is flesh. Pain is pain.
This documentary is from Mercy for Animals. It’s of an undercover investigation at a catfish slaughter facility in Texas. Here is what MFA discovered:
- Workers using pliers to pull the skin off of live fish
- Dozens of fish crammed into buckets and baskets, gasping for oxygen
- Skinned fish still moving and gasping on the cutting table
- Fish flailing and struggling to escape the workers’ knives
- Live fish sliced and split in half
- Workers tearing the heads off of live fish
I could not sit through the whole documentary because it was so disturbing to see. I can never look at catfish fillets at a market the same without thinking about the pain it must have endured to be on a human’s plate for dinner.