1/3 cup of vegan butter
1/4 cup of flour
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, minced
10 oz package of okra, sliced thinly
1 (28 oz) of can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 (16 oz) kidney beans
1 bag of fresh chopped collard greens
2 carrots, diced
4 cups of vegetable broth
3 tblsp tomato paste
2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp allspice
2 bay leaves
4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
louisana hot sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
salt and pepper to taste
1) in a large pot, on medium-low heat, melt butter and add the flour. cook the flour mixture and stir frequently until you smell a toasty aroma. this will take about 10 minutes.
2) add onions and peppers. cook on medium high for 12 minutes.
3) add the celery, garlic, carrots, and okra. cook for 6 minutes. add the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste and vegetable broth. stir completely.
4) add all of the seasoning ingredients. raise the heat and bring to a boil. then lower the heat and cover. simmer for 35 minutes.
5) add the collard greens. cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
6) spoon over rice and serve piping hot.
** recipe adapted from Veganomigon**