i was inspired to make these today from a dish i tried a couple of weeks ago in palm springs. when i was having brunch with my friends, i ordered a cheese frittata. i tried to eat the dish but since i have not eaten eggs in forever, my stomach could not hold the food down.
frittatas are a spanish/italian dish that is made with egg and is similar to quiche and omelletes. they are usually filled with cheeses, meats and vegatables.
today for brunch, i decided to whip up my take on a vegan frittata. although i wanted to make a light and healthy meal, this dish ended up to be extremely rich and fulfilling. i thought a great way to serve this was making individual portions so i baked them in muffin pans.
1 potato, cut into small cubes
5-6 slices of vegan bacon, cut into ity bitty bacon bits
1/2 cup of chopped green, yellow and red bell peppers
1 bunch of spinach, chopped
1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
1/4 onion, chopped
2-3 tbs olive oil
your favorite all purpose seasoning
salt, pepper and red pepper to taste
2 tbs lemon juice
firm tofu, blended (you may need to add 2-3 tbs of soy milk to get a creamy texture)
1/4-1/2 cup of panko breading
vegan shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese **for topping**
1) preheat oven to 350 and coat muffin pans with non-stick spray.
2) mix all the ingredients together except for the cheese, panko breading, tofu and the non-stick spray of course! and let ingredients sit and marinate for about 10mins.
3) heat a large pan on medium heat. saute mixture and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
4) transfer cooked mixture into a large bowl. add tofu mixture and mix until everything is covered. then add panko breading. the panko breading is just used to bind the mixture together.
5) spoon in mixture into muffin pans and top with shredded cheese.
6) bake for 25-30 minutes.
7) top with louisana hot sauce and enjoy!