lately, i’ve been in the mood for soup. i think its a mixture the cold weather and me getting over a cold. here’s a soup recipe i just put together. enjoy!
1 1/4 cup chopped carrots
1 1/4 cup chopped onions
1 1/4 cup chopped celery
1 can of organic black beans, drained
2 large sized russet potatoes, cubed
4- 5 cloves of chopped garlic
14 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 can of corn (optional)
1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
2- 4 tbs of olive oil
garnish with sour cream and chopped avocados or guacamole (optional)
1) heat olive oil in a large pot, on medium high heat
2) saute carrots, onions, and celery for 6-8 minutes
3) stir in cubed potatoes and garlic. cook for about 5 minutes.
4) add broth (at this time, you can add the vegetable bouillon) and stir occasionally. cook until the potatoes are close to tender
4) add black beans and corn. cook for 8 minutes. at this time, add jalapeno, cilantro and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
5) transfer soup into a food processor or blender and puree soup.
6) transfer puree back to pot and simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
7) ladle into a bowl. garnish with cilantro. dollop with vegan sour cream or guacamole (even better… chopped fresh avocados).
** pictured with the soup- vegan whole wheat quesadilla**