this is my go to dish when i have no time to cook and exhausted from running 3 miles and going straight to yoga.
i first had spaghetti alla puttanesca at my favorite mom and pop’s italian restaurant in fremont. this dish is made with anchovies to give it a unique salty flavor that i love. here is my version of spaghetti alla puttanesca minus the anchovies…hence, “veganesca”.
4 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup of olives, preferebly without the seed.
3 tbs of capers
12oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained.
4 oz tomato paste
5 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup of chopped parsley (save some for garnish)
salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes to taste
1/2 a package of whole wheat spaghetti noodles- cooked, drained and set aside.
1) heat olive oil on medium heat. saute onions for about 3 minutes then add garlic.
2) add olives and capers. cook for about 2 minutes. season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
3) next, add diced tomatoes (undrained) and tomato paste. cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. i sometimes i like to add olive juice, which adds a bit of saltiness that is missing from the anchovies.
4) add parsley the last 5 minutes. taste the sauce and if you need to add more flavor feel free to add more salt and pepper.
5) stir in noodles to sauce and garnish with parsley.