i love this soup! it’s my husband’s specialty. he’s been surprising me with vegan dinners and this is one of the first dishes he’s cooked me. get ready for the the sweet aroma of the garlic, onions and tomatoes to fill your home.
to accompany this dish, i made a green been salad. i thought a cold salad would compliment this soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 oz canned chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped thyme for garnish.
- heat olive oil in a large pan. add the onions, garlic potato and paprika and cook for 5 minutes.
- in a separate pot, boil tomatoes, thyme and stock. add potatoes to the pot and simmer f0r 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- add some of the vegetable broth to cornstarch and mix together to form a paste. next, stir the paste into the soup. simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until soup has thickened.
- break the potatoes up slightly. sprinkle chopped thyme to garnish.