getting ready for our trip down to sd for the weekend and cleaning up the apt before we leave… i realized that i hadn’t eaten dinner yet and it was already 9pm. my quick and easy go to meals are usually pasta dishes or trader joe fixtures. this is what i usually turn to for dinner during my mon–thurs work week.
tonight i was craving for pasta. i decided to cook a simple vegan pesto spaghetti. as i was cooking, i wanted to add some veges to the pasta. i noticed i had a bag of frozen spinach in my freezer. i chopped up some garlic and sauteed a half a bag of frozen spinach. instead of adding the spinach to my pasta… i randomly decided to create some kind of spinach soup. earlier this evening i came across a can of tomato paste as i was cleaning out my pantry and figured i can use that as a base. when i walked into the pantry to grab the tomato paste, i saw a can of trader joe’s tomato bisque soup…. perfecto! my accidental spinach soup was born.
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 cup of sliced white onion
1 tbl of olive oil
2 cups of vegetable broth
10 oz frozen or fresh spinach
1 80z can of trader joe tomato bisque soup
a pinch of the following- thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes.
salt and pepper to taste
parsley for garnish
1. on medium heat, saute garlic then add spinach.
2. add vegetable broth and the rest of the ingredients. simmer on medium heat for 10-20 minutes.
3. add salt and pepper to taste. garnish with parsley and vegan parmesan cheese.
* use a can of diced tomatoes or tomato soup instead of tomato bisque.
* add beans, potatoes, carrots, etc. be as creative as you want! this is a pretty versatile soup.
**vegan pesto spaghetti also show in photo**