last night for dinner i was craving soup. i was looking in my Vegan Planet cook book and hot and sour soup sounded yummy. my meal needed another dish. i figured i’d stick to with the chinese dish theme and cook something easy…sauteed bok choy…yup, quick and simple.
hot and sour soup
** adapted from vegan planet cookbook**
1/2 cup of shitake mushrooms
1 cup of canned or fresh sliced bamboo shoot
4 tsp peanut oil
8 oz extra firm tofu, drained and cut into strips
2 garlic clove
1 tbl minced ginger
4 cups of vegetable stock
2 tblspn soy sauce
2 tblspn rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp chili paste (i like my soup spicy)
1 tsp of cornstarch dissolved in
2 tsp of water
1 tblspn sesame oil
2 tbl chopped scallions
1 tbl chopped cilantro
salt and black pepper
1. in a large pot, heat 2 tsp of peanut oil and cook tofu until golden brown on both sides, and set aside.
2. in the same pot, heat the remaining 2 tsp of peanut oil(medium heat) and saute garlic and ginger for 30 secs.
3. add stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and chili paste. bring to boil over high heat then reduce to medium to simmer.
4. add tofu, bamboo shoot, and mushrooms and simmer for about 5 mins.
5. remove pot from heat and add the remainder of the ingredients- sesame oil, scallions, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.